Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Research on Sound artists.

        In class, we listened to some sound artists, and I really connected with DJ Spooky. I loved his electronic duet with a cello player he did to raise awareness for child soldiers in Africa--I thought it was a very beautiful and meaningful, and I thought it was great how he was trying to bring the digital and classical music worlds together. On his website, it shows how a lot of his music is based on world issues, which I find really amazing that he is using his dj-ing skills to help serious causes from around the world. I also love his DJ iphone app--it looks so cool! I think it's great how he is trying to get music technology to people around the world...this will maybe create more sound artists in the future!
        As for sound artists I have found on my own, I personally enjoy the two-girl band Toxic Lipstick from Brisbane, Australia. They take much inspiration from the attention-seeking and self-destructive phase many pre-teen girls go through growing up, along with the colorful and camp culture of the 1980s. They put a humorous twist on serious and unhealthy issues that teenagers have to learn to maneuver through, such as underage drinking, unprotected sex, and cruel bullying--they mock these things through their music, creating art through "anti-art"--with harsh loud synthesizers and wacky cartoon sound effects, mixed with lewd, jargon-filled lyrics that sound like they're coming out of the mouth of a confused 14-year-old on helium. Check out their video for their song Best Friends, and listen to I Smoke my Vomit and Tracey's Slumber Party!

No comments:

Post a Comment