Thursday, February 16, 2012

My relationship to sound.

    I have many sounds I can recall from my childhood. Growing up, my next door neighbor was a biology scientist who studied birds, and cared for hundreds of chickens, ducks, and other birds in his backyard. You could hear the chickens and ducks squacking and cackling all day--it became a very nostalgic sound for me. We also lived next door to a small swamp, where many "peeper" frogs made their home. They would "peep" late into the night, and as a child I loved listening to them. I also have memories of listening to my mum cook in the kitchen while doing homework, and listening to my grandfather practice his trumpet whenever staying the night at my grandparent's house.
      I often escaped into music in my pre-teen years, when I was first diagnosed with social anxiety and life was becoming harder for me. It was hard for me to be detached from my CD player. The music I listened to then gave me comfort through the confusing emotions I was going through. I spent a lot of time listening to cliche alternative bands like Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance, but despite their melodramatic lyrics, I truly did enjoy them growing up. They gave me something to relate to.

No comments:

Post a Comment