Sunday, February 12, 2012

Artist Books.

     During our presentation of artist books in the library, I was particularly moved by one book titled "Rape Is...". It was a simple white color with a blood red sticker in the middle, printed with the book's title. The sticker had to be torn in half to open the book, representing the physical and emotional pain caused by rape. Inside are short quotes from rape victims, describing how they were raped, what it was like afterwards, etc. It is a very moving book and I thought it was especially impressive how the shape of the book could have such an emotional impact and a large part of the book's message.
     In my own research, I came across a lovely book titled "Fragile Kingdom" by Lara Shnitger. The book has the feeling of a very personal collage, with photos of intricate art installations mixed with simple candid featuring the artist's everyday life.  Lara has written page numbers in her own hand, along with titles for some of her photographs. I especially love the opening page, featuring black and white photos of who I assume is herself, making funny faces. I think it sets the tone of this very personal artist book well, and lets the viewers know that this book is going to act as a doorway into this individual's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment