Thursday, January 19, 2012

James Turrell (+a wee introduction)



In our very first class of "TIME: Memory and Myth", we watched a video about the artist James Turrell. Turrell experiments with light and shape and creates exhibits that help his viewers enter another world--whether they be psychodelic or spiritual. He concentrates on how the sun travels across the sky and into his exhibit, using celestial inspiration to create interesting architecture that is subtle but will fascinate those walking through. Other than creating semi-spiritual art instillations involving the beauty of the Earth's sky, he has also done walk-in rooms covered in colored artifical lighting, creating out-of-this-world, "trippy" escapes from the hustling and bustling outside world.
Turrell made some very meaningful points about the passage of time within the film, explaining how when one quiets there soul when looking at the sky, they can feel the power of the Earth and divine forces around them. The Shakers of the Shakers Church that Turrell designed architecture for felt this way too; when they showed Turrell's skylit room in the Shaker Church, with clouds rolling over the Shakers heads, you could feel the divine peace and connection to God the Shakers must have found there. I found this very inspiring and deep. 
I was also very inspired about Turrell's love for immersing his viewers into a different world. His fully-lit rooms (like the one above) were described by visitors as "an escape from the bustling city outside" and a "different world completely from that outside". I found this very beautiful and hope to create that kind of atmosphere in my own work. Watching that short documentary on Turrell has made me think more about how light can be used to create an inviting and intriguing space, and his unique view on the passing in time is something I would like to keep in mind while creating my own artwork.



Anyway, here is a wee introduction about myself: my name is Hannah Smith (though I tend to prefer to go my Hannah Grace...hence my blog URL~) and I'm a fashion design major here at MassArt. I'm excited for this class and I can't wait to see what we end up doing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment