Tuesday, April 3, 2012

'Bloody Mary': exploring the myth.

     For my final 'myth' assignment, I will be exploring the urban legend of Bloody Mary, the malicious ghost that is said to appear in dark mirrors after saying an assortment of chants. This legend is a rumor strongly believed by elementary and middle school children, which makes the original source of the legend hard to track down, as the story is tweaked and changed through each generation. Some scholars have said that the legend may have been inspired by the folklore of Queen Mary I, who was rumored to have bathed in the blood of virgins to preserve her beauty. She was also known for having many problems with birth, and had several miscarriages, which brings a strong maternal thread to the tale. Several of the versions of legends have to deal with a woman who has either lost her child and committed suicide, or murdered her child in a fit of madness. To summon this spirit, whoever she may be, also depends on the legend the summoners are following. Some chants involve simply saying 'Bloody Mary' a number of times, or saying "I believe in Mary Worth" or "Mary Worth, I have your baby". When summoned, the spirit is said to be very violent, scratching and hurting her summoners and even dragging them into the mirror with her.
     My connection with this tale has been a long bout of paranoia that has lasted me since my junior high years. I learned about the infamous Bloody Mary tale at a girlscout sleepover I attended, and ever since I have had an extreme fear and yet morbid fascination with the tale. I still cannot be in a room with a dark mirror, much to my parents dismay, but I think the grisly mysterious aspect of the tale has affected me and my art on a psychological level. I'm excited to explore the terror and sleepless nights I had because of the tale, weaving them in with symbolism from the actual legends into a single film.

some images that i'm using for inspiration...



the "real" bloody mary...

the beginning of my storyboard for my film...




No comments:

Post a Comment